Thought grilled cheese sandwiches are only for kids? Well, you thought wrong, my friend! As easy at is to make a fool proof (unless the fool forgets about the sandwich in the pan), classic, cheesy, comforting grilled cheese sandwich, upgrading it to fit a more mature palette is just as simple. Think about it, customarily, it's just American singles on white bread. Buttery, yummy, reminiscent of your childhood snack/meal time after-school. This version, it's the same base. Cheese and bread; only this sandwich has BACON. Yes, you read it, BACON.
It can also pass as just a regular BLT except there's not L, instead there's an S (Spinach) and instead of Singles, I used shredded cheese, and added some sauteed onions and garlic.
ingredients (for 2)
* 1 cup sliced onion rounds
* 1 large garlic clove, minced
* 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheese (American, Cheddar, Mex Mix, whatever you feel like)
* 4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty bread (I am obsessed with Dave's Killer Bread!)
* 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
* 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato $
* 4 slices bacon, cooked $
let’s do this!
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook your bacon, once cooked, let it rest in a paper towel lined plate. Leave the bacon fat/drippings in pan.
2. Cook onion and garlic in bacon fat for 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 2 bread slices and top them each with spinach, tomato slices onion mixture, and bacon slices. Again, add more cheese and top it off with the remaining bread slices.
From here you can either choose to have a BST (Bacon Spinach Tomato sandwich) or you can..
4. In the same skillet where you cooked the bacon and onion mixture, over medium-high heat, place sandwiches and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts.
et voila. grown-up, way mature, grilled cheese sandwich for your hungry inner child. Enjoy!!